When people say music saves, that it soothes the soul and transcends words, worlds and views, I couldn’t agree more. Music has the ability to move you to your core, energize you, bring you to tears, give you shivers and effect your mood, bringing out joy, sadness and humility. Even without words, a melody can move mountains. Music can create unity, togetherness and pride, like when a person is listening to or singing their national anthem. Then there are those songs that are released to the world, and everyone who hears it, no matter where they call home, which language they speak, what they do for a living, all feel the same emotion, and the melody and the words hang in the air connecting lives unlike anything else. Music is a universal language all in its own. Its ability to captivate and create emotion is beautiful and breathtaking, and something everyone has been lucky to witness and experience.
When I think of music, the songs that speak to me, the songs I relate to, or those that are just silly and put a smile on my face, I realize how many moments a simple song has inspired me or changed my path. My favourite songs throughout my life, although forever changing, have given me strength to continue you on when I need it, a smile I needed to start my battle against depression, and moments of peace and calm amongst the chaos of life. Music frees me, it saves me, it moves me and it enriches my life beyond reason.
These are twelve songs I couldn’t live without… songs I relate to, some that just make me happy, others that are fun, and some that just speak to me and moments in my difficult and wonderful journey. Here are my songs , some from my past that have lingered despite my age, and others that are more current. Although the list grows and adapts daily, these will always hold a special or silly place in my heart.
In no particular order;
1. Ophelia (The Band) cover by Eric Kufs (although I love the original equally as much) – because its beautiful and stuns me into silence. Every note is a piece of art!
2. Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash – because it’s gritty and real, the live Folsom prison version. There is wisdom and experience in his voice that speaks to me.
3. Something to Talk About by Bonnie Raitt – because it makes me feel fabulous, alive and appreciative of my relationship with my husband. Plus it makes me want to dance!
4. Try a Little Tenderness by Otis Redding – because the building tempo brings me to life, until I feel free and am dancing and belting out the words. The sound, the authenticity speaks to my soul.
5. Heart of Glass by Blondie – Because this song speaks to my teenage years, my Blondie t-shirts, and when I fell in love with it. It makes me reminisce and appreciate my growth. Plus I’m a blonde so it suits!
6. Reminder by Mumford & Sons – simply because I relate to every word. It’s short, and it brings up feelings relating to the loss of my nieces, struggles in my relationship and my personal journey. It reminds me that love never fades.
7. These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra – Because it brings out my confidence, my feminine strength, and it makes me feel sassy and powerful! Plus I want that romper!
8. You Lie by The Band Perry – Because it’s poetic, and the sound is truly unique and I love it. It speaks to the realities of life, and the lyrics pull me in.
9. I Just Want to Make Love to You by Etta James – because it’s Etta!!!…and this song makes you feel sexy and stunning, in control and feminine in all the best ways. Her voice is rich and simply perfection.
10. Old Man by Neil Young – Because the story and the journey is one that applies to so many. Common bonds speak volumes.
11. Shoop by Salt N Pepa – because I know every single word, and I rap them in a ridiculous white girl fashion. The outfits, the dance moves, the lyrics and my automatic rap reaction brings out uncontrollable laughter and happy tears to my eyes as I belt it out and dance with friends. It just brings out my crazy, youthful side.
12. Think by Aretha Franklin feat.The Blues Brothers – Because it’s upbeat and fills me full of energy and spunk from the first note. It also brings out my confidence and a silly assertive nature, where I’m typically more mild and low-key. And really, what a voice!
I’m not going to lie, it was hard to put only twelve songs on this list when I love so many, by so many artists, especially those listed like Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Etta James, Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin. I could have chosen others, but today, these seemed to suit best.
I hope you are inspired, brought to life, and filled will happiness, laughter and love as you listen to these songs. I hope you spend time surrounded by beautiful music that brings out your strength, confidence and joy. Wishing you days filled with beautiful melodies, lyrics and love.