The beautiful thing about life, whether you’re living through a rough period or one of the best moments of your life, there is always something positive, something inspiring happening around you. There is a constant array of lessons, objects, and experiences painting a beautiful backdrop as your life passes by each day. Life will always throw curve balls; everyday will not be perfect or blissful, and sometimes you need to look for the light that will lead you out of the darkness. My light always comes in the form of my simplest pleasures. When sadness strikes, when tragedy overwhelms or hate prevails, I look to life to show me the beauty. The beautiful things, moments and experiences are there patiently waiting to come into focus as soon as I call them. Try and step into the light, focus on the things that bring you joy, and try to keep them there, the center of your focus always. If you can find the beauty that surrounds you, you to have the strength to appreciate them and embrace their healing power.
Think long and hard about the things that bring you joy. Recognize what your simple pleasures really are and surround yourself with these objects and experiences. When I think about some of my simple pleasures, some happen spontaneously and I can’t recreate those moments, but many I can. If you bring as many of those moments into your everyday life, soon you will feel happier, stronger, and more appreciative of your life. Your outlook will become more positive and you will discover so many other pleasures in your life you never took the time to notice. Ultimately, you will feel more fulfilled, and more thankful for the life you are living, and isn’t that what we are all hoping to achieve? My list of simple pleasures is always growing and changing alongside me, as I evolve throughout my life. My new discoveries and learning brings into focus new favourite hobbies and escapes, and my life only looks brighter and more promising every time I take another step further into the light and into my future.
Take a look at my list of simple pleasures. I hope you are inspired to look deep within yourself and at your life, and that you begin to see all the beautiful pleasures that inspire you. Those moments will lead you to the happiest, healthiest life possible – the life you deserve.
I hope you can open your eyes and heart to the beauty that surrounds you. I hope that your strength and inspiration propels you to focus on the positive, and that every simple moment will lead you one step closer to your light and one step further away from the darkness.
My thirty-one simple pleasures; one to inspire me every day of every month!
1. Listening to the pure unedited sound of an old record
2. Kisses on my shoulder from my husband
3. Listening to my 96-year-old grandmother tell me stories of her childhood
4. The smell and taste of the first barbecued dinner of the year
5. Capturing the perfect moment/picture on film
6. When one of my favourite oldies song comes on the radio
7. When the sound of the my husband’s singing and guitar is the backdrop to my day
8. Driving down an empty highway with the windows down on a perfect sunny day
9. When my pets refuse to leave me alone or to stop cuddling with me during a sad moment
10. The kind of hug that surrounds and consumes you completely, so all you can feel is safety & love
11. When the first flower comes into full bloom in my garden
12. When a piece of mail arrives addressed to me, but isn’t a bill
13. Children bringing out your inner child when you play with them
14. When I put on a pair of skates after years of being off the ice
15. Diving into and swimming in a natural body of water
16. The infectious giggle of a child at any age
17. Taking adventure tours with my husband
18. Baking on a Sunday afternoon and the delicious smell that spreads through the house
19. Witnessing a person seeing their true beauty for the first time
20. Waking up to my husband waiting smile and perfect dimples
21. Reminiscing about our lives with my Mum, Dad and sisters
22. Meeting a someone who is just like you and seems to understand you completely
23. Writing on days when I’m full of emotion
24. Achieving a personal goal
25. A comedian or moment that makes you laugh until it hurts
26. Dancing to the music
27. Connecting and having an amazing conversation with a stranger
28. Learning something new
29. The first sip of coffee in the morning
30. The surprise I feel when someone connects with my words
31. How small the world looks from an airplane window
Simple Pleasures Come to Life: